Fourth part of our working girl series! Catch up on our previous posts here!
Quick & Easy Healthy Breakfast Foods
I know that I’ve said this before, but I will say it again that my transportation situation is currently bus and BART( well was..I got a new car yall! Details coming soon.) When I was using public transportation I had to get up pretty early because if I missed the 7:13 AM bus I knew I would be at least an hour late to work..aka screwed. I also work in an area that only has 2 cafes that are within walking distance and both are pretty pricey. I actually just paid for a week’s worth of coffee in advance and it was around $13.00, which is just way too much. I’m currently debating on whether or not I need to wean myself off caffeine because that’s over $50 a month on coffee! Or as Kierra would say ” That’s 3 MAC lipsticks!”
In an attempt to save money I’ve been packing my own breakfast. These are my current favorites for a girl on the go!
- Cheerios Protein: These are delicious and with the added bonus of protein I don’t feel bad about not having some type of meat with my breakfast to help build muscle.
- Nature’s Path Oatmeal: You can buy this in bulk from Costco or Whole Foods. I like it because it’s organic and from a nutritional standpoint natural is always better. These probably have about the same amount of calories and sugar that Quaker Oatmeal has, but at least this is unprocessed.
- Egg-land’s best pre-cooked hard boiled eggs: I know these probably don’t look that appealing, and honestly it took me a minute to get used to the idea, but for someone that could never get the hang of boiling and peeling eggs these are a lifesaver.
- Kashi waffles: Waffles are obviously delicious but these are pretty healthy, made with whole grains AND are low in calories.
- Naked Smoothie: I’m not really a smoothie drinker and I don’t really like these because they have a lot of sugar (even though it’s natural) and a lot of carbohydrates, but if I’m not really hungry or am in a huge hurry where I don’t even have time to put something in a bag I will grab these.
Alternatives to coffee and energy drinks
I don’t know about you guys but I LOVE coffee. The weird thing is that it does absolutely nothing for me. I know most people drink it to feel energized or awake but I personally just love the taste. As we all may know coffee isn’t the best thing to drink especially if you drink multiple cups so I wanted to give you the scoop on some great alternatives!
One of my favorite alternatives to coffee is…… you guessed it, TEA. I’m not a diehard tea fan but I do like herbal tea. It doesn’t replace the coffee taste (lets be real) but if I’m in the mood for a hot beverage and I’ve already had a cup of coffee I will drink tea. Yerba Mate tea from Trader Joes is an amazing tea with a ton of other benefits. In fact I think it’s probably my favorite tea to drink. If your curious about what it does read here. Yerba Mate root also comes in pill form so if you are looking for something to give you extra energy that would probably be a great thing to try.
Now if you just can’t live without coffee here is some of my all-time favorite low calorie coffee drinks. Starbucks grande SKINNY caramel macchiato with an extra pump of sugar free vanilla is my go too! You can get it hot or iced but either way its amazing. Second, a grande coffee frappacino with two pumps of toffee nut syrup. To die for and less than 200 calories. If it isn’t obvious do not make requests like extra whip cream or skinny with extra caramel (trust me, I’ve seen it and I do talk about you people.) Lastly, I have added Emergen-C to my bottles of water as a flavored water substitute. It adds flavor to boring old water while also boosting your immune system. 1,000 mg of Vitamin-C to be exact!
What to eat for the last meal of the day
This is actually a very loose subject because depending on what your goals are there are a multitude of things you could eat. If you’re trying to make gains then you will probably eat some ratio of carbs/protein within your meals. If you’re trying to lose weight you might not eat anything at night if you pigged out for lunch (like right now I just ate a half a bag of peanut M&M’s so it’s looking like I might have a salad for dinner)
Nevermind… tonight’s the warriors game so I’ll probably have drinks and fatty bar food (always gotta be honest with you guys)
Anyway, you get my point. I can’t really tell you what to eat for your last meal, but I will suggest, if it is within your budget, hiring someone to make you a meal plan. They are reasonably priced between $50-100 and will customize something according to your goals and needs. Make sure to hire someone TRAINED, not just Joe Schmoe from down the street who claims to be a personal trainer. Lately I’ve been using something I like to call a reverse pyramid. Not sure if that’s an actual term, if it is shout out to ever coined it cause I’m not trying to steal. I like to eat my largest meal for breakfast, a mid size meal for lunch, and my smallest meal at dinner. If you asked me how many times I actually accomplished eating like this it would probably be about 3 out of the 7 days in a week (ayeee sometimes a girl gets hungry), but I consistently workout (and when I say consistently I mean 5-6 days a week) so it all balances out. Moral of this story is follow your gut instinct and if your gut is telling you to eat everything in sight, pay someone else to be your gut and follow it.
Our last working girl series post will be up next Monday! Hope you all enjoyed your memorial day weekend!